The cooking class students seem to love ethic-inspired menues- my Greek, Indonesian, and Mexican classes were all really well attended. These Sweet Potato & Kale Enchiladas, from a recent Mexican foods class, are a great vegetable focused meal: sweet potatoes, kale, peppers, carrots, and onions make it healthy, and the vegan cheese makes it a little bit more creamy and brings the whole meal together! I used Daiya mozzarella, and it was perfect! Make the Enchilada Sauce a few days ahead of time, and it comes together pretty quickly, and makes for an impressive dinner.
Sweet Potato & Kale Enchiladas
3 Tablespoons olive oil
¾ cup red onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1½ cups chopped, fire-roasted tomatoes
½ cup tomato paste
1¼ cups vegetable broth
3 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
3 teaspoons each chili powder, oregano, and honey
2 teaspoons each coriander and cumin
4 cups chopped sweet potatoes (purple or orange)
⅓ cup coconut milk
½ teaspoon each smoked salt, red chili flakes, and black pepper
1 cup thinly sliced onion
1 cup shredded carrots
½ cup chopped red pepper
4 cups washed and torn kale
½ cup chopped cilantro
1-2 cups shredded cheese (vegan or dairy)
6 whole-wheat tortillas
- To make the Enchilada Sauce: Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until soft. Lower heat and add garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste, broth, vinegar, spices, honey, and salt. Bring to a boil, lower heat, and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and let cool. This may be made a few days ahead of time.
- To make the Filling: Bring a large stockpot to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until very soft, about 10 minutes. Drain, and mash slightly with coconut milk, smoked salt, chili flakes, and pepper. Set aside.
- In another skillet sauté onions in olive oil over medium-low heat until just soft, about five minutes. Add carrots and red pepper, then cook a few minutes more. Toss in kale and cilantro, cook until just wilted. Turn out into a large bowl and stir in 1 cup cheese, if using.
- To make Enchiladas: Preheat oven to 350º. Lay tortillas onto a flat surface. Spread 1 Tablespoon Enchilada Sauce onto center of tortilla. Add two Tablespoons sweet potato mixture and two Tablespoons vegetable mixture. Roll tightly and place into a 7×11 baking dish, fold side down. Continue with remaining tortillas.
- Pour remaining red sauce on top of Enchiladas, and bake for 25 minutes. Add remaining cheese on top five minutes before cooking is finished. Let cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!
Yield: 6 Enchiladas, or 3-4 servings